Today Fortune 500 and many middle tier companies have jumped aboard on the social media marketing train. To meet their business goals social technologies have sprouted like mushrooms, CMO’s have (and still are) reaching out for social media guidance and digital agencies have built social media business units. Additionally, I have noticed a trend in small pure-play social media agencies popping up in major US cities such as Los Angeles, Seattle, Chicago, Miami, Atlanta and New York.
It’s crystal clear that social media marketing has proliferated to be the primary marketing vehicle between brand and consumer. But what about companies using social media to run internal management, business processes and communication?
This is substantiated by recent research from the Altimeter Group, “Making The Business Case For Enterprise Social Networks,” by Charlene Li. Charlene points out that even those who implemented enterprise social networks (ESN) fail to understand that the new relationships created by enterprise social networks are a source for value creation. The report successfully outlines the ESN adoption pain points and makes a case for successful implementation.
Below are 10 reasons for companies to implement social enterprise technology:
1. Efficient and secure inter and intra departmental communication
2. One central location for information
3. Collaborative decision-making on employee ideas
4. Recognize excellence
5. Empower employees
6. Share best practices
7. Facilitiate mentorship and skill development
8. Open dialogues across teams improve trust and loyalty
9. Reduce the need for meetings by collaborative brainstorming, compiling notes and sharing files
10. Share, store and manage content including documents, presentations, images and videos
As global companies recognize the need for ESN the market opportunity will continue to grow for two bodies:
1. Technology startups who will race to innovate and meet the business demand
2. Social media agencies who will provide social business strategy and associated technology deployment
As more companies begin to recognize the ESN value lookout for more social startups to take advantage of this expanding opportunity.